Make your meeting seem less like a meeting EVEN THOUGH IT’S TOTALLY A MEETING
One way to make meetings less painful is to do whatever you can to trick people into thinking it’s not a meeting. Sure, everyone still knows it’s a meeting, but this little trick will make people expect something different, productive, even enjoyable.
Here are three fun tricks for making your meeting seem less like a meeting even though it’s totally a meeting.
1. CALL IT SOMETHING ELSE
It’s a good idea to avoid using the word “meeting” when scheduling your meeting. Try calling your meeting by a different name to throw folks off the scent of the fact that it is really a meeting. Here are some fun alternate names for your meeting:
- office hours
2. GIVE YOUR CONFERENCE ROOMS FUN NAMES
The practice of giving conference rooms cool names dates back to 1976, when it didn’t work then, either. Simply pick a fun theme for your conference rooms and no will ever realize that this is where their happiness will go to die.
3. MAKE UP FUN MEETING RITUALS
Make up fun meeting rituals to force people to have fun. These rules can be how you start the meeting, if you sit or stand, or who has the power in the meeting.
- Start with personal sharing about weekend plans
- Have someone else run the meeting each week
- Give a “success of the week” award
- Begin with a three-minute meditation session
- Sit on bean bag chairs
- To direct a question at someone, shoot her with a Nerf gun
- Pass around a “talking stone”
- End with a secret handshake